
(MyFoxBoston.com) -- Tom Brady called the NFL's decision to uphold his four-game suspension "disappointing" in a statement posted to Facebook on Wednesday, adding that he did nothing wrong.
On Tuesday, the NFLPA said the quarterback’s suspension was going to be upheld following allegations that Brady and the Patriots deflated game balls during the AFC Championship game earlier this year.
According to Roger Goodell, new evidence that Brady had instructed his assistant to destroy his cell phone was key to upholding the suspension. Brady addressed the point in his statement, saying that he replaced his broken phone after his attorneys made it clear to the NFL that it would not be subjected in the investigation.
"I have never written, texted, emailed to anybody at anytime, anything related to football air pressure before this issue was raised at the AFC Championship game in January," Brady's said. "To suggest that I destroyed a phone to avoid giving the NFL information it requested is completely wrong."
Brady has authorized the NFLPA to appeal his case in federal court. In Wednesday's statement, he said he was "overwhelmed and humbled" by the support of his family, friends and fans.
<< MORE: Kraft: 'I was wrong to put my faith in the league' >>
<< MORE: Brady authorizes NFLPA to appeal case in federal court >>
<< MORE: NFL: Evidence of cell phone destruction was key to upholding Brady suspension >>
<< MORE: Tom Brady's agent calls appeal process 'a sham' >>
<< MORE: NFL files paperwork in New York federal court >>
Full statement:
I am very disappointed by the NFL’s decision to uphold the 4 game suspension against me. I did nothing wrong, and no one in the Patriots organization did either.
Despite submitting to hours of testimony over the past 6 months, it is disappointing that the Commissioner upheld my suspension based upon a standard that it was “probable” that I was “generally aware” of misconduct. The fact is that neither I, nor any equipment person, did anything of which we have been accused. He dismissed my hours of testimony and it is disappointing that he found it unreliable.
I also disagree with yesterdays narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells investigation, that failing to subject my cell phone to investigation would result in ANY discipline.
Most importantly, I have never written, texted, emailed to anybody at anytime, anything related to football air pressure before this issue was raised at the AFC Championship game in January. To suggest that I destroyed a phone to avoid giving the NFL information it requested is completely wrong.
To try and reconcile the record and fully cooperate with the investigation after I was disciplined in May, we turned over detailed pages of cell phone records and all of the emails that Mr. Wells requested. We even contacted the phone company to see if there was any possible way we could retrieve any/all of the actual text messages from my old phone. In short, we exhausted every possibility to give the NFL everything we could and offered to go thru the identity for every text and phone call during the relevant time. Regardless, the NFL knows that Mr. Wells already had ALL relevant communications with Patriots personnel that either Mr. Wells saw or that I was questioned about in my appeal hearing. There is no “smoking gun” and this controversy is manufactured to distract from the fact they have zero evidence of wrongdoing.
I authorized the NFLPA to make a settlement offer to the NFL so that we could avoid going to court and put this inconsequential issue behind us as we move forward into this season. The discipline was upheld without any counter offer. I respect the Commissioners authority, but he also has to respect the CBA and my rights as a private citizen. I will not allow my unfair discipline to become a precedent for other NFL players without a fight.
Lastly, I am overwhelmed and humbled by the support of family, friends and our fans who have supported me since the false accusations were made after the AFC Championship game. I look forward to the opportunity to resume playing with my teammates and winning more games for the New England Patriots.
![]() ![]() | 25 FOX Drive Phone (781) 467-2525
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2015 Cox Media Group Television and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices |