LAWRENCE, Mass. (
MyFoxBoston.com) -- Police arrested a man Sunday afternoon in connection to a home invasion after reports of a standoff in the city. The Lawrence police chief said he did not know how reports of a search for three armed suspects began.
Law enforcement closed off Canal Street and surrounded a large warehouse Sunday afternoon. Earlier in the day police told FOX25 they believed three armed suspects were hiding.
Members of both the Lawrence Police Department and Massachusetts State Police surrounded the building at 400 Canal St. just before 4 p.m. Sunday, and a SWAT team was reported seen entering the building at around 4 p.m. A state police helicopter assisted in the search, as well as sheriff K-9 units.
But just before 5 p.m., Lawrence police reported that they had searched the entire building, and did not find the suspects. Police then began a secondary search of a nearby building.
At around 5:15 p.m., the police chief confirmed an arrest of an employee of the building. That man was arrested in connection with a home invasion on Thursday. At the time he announced the arrest, the Lawrence police chief said it was unclear how reports that police were searching for three armed suspects originated.
"We don't have information about him coming in with a weapon or anything, but he is in custody for a home invasion that happened Thursday, and he's being interviewed right now," Lawrence Police Chief James Fitzpatrick said.
Officers told onlookers who gathered near the scene to stay across the street in case of gunfire.
Mobile app users, click here to view photos of the scene.This is a developing story. Stick with myfoxboston.com for updates as they become available.