OMAHA, Nebraska (
MyFoxBoston.com) The parents of the American photojournalist who contracted Ebola while in Liberia said in a press conference on Monday that their son remains in good spirits.
Ashoka Mukpo may have arrived at the Nebraska Medical Center for treatment on a stretcher, but his parents say that the Rhode Island native was waving to them and seemed very awake and strong.
Representatives of the hospital said that Mukpo arrived directly from West Africa and is the second patient being treated for Ebola in their bio-containment unit, which they say is the safest possible place that Mukpo could be.
Hospital officials said the Medical Center is "honored and humbled" to have been called upon for a second time to treat a virus that many are fearful of. Officials said that they are proud to work closely and assist with Ebola care both in the U.S. and around the world.
Mukpo's father explained that his son believes he may have been infected while spray-washing a vehicle in Liberia. While disinfecting the truck, which Mukpo told his father somebody had previously died in, he may have been sprayed with something that had been residing on the truck and possibly infected by it.
Mukpo's symptoms are the same as when he left, his father explained. His symptoms primarily include a fever and nausea.
The doctors did not disclose what the patient's treatment would be, but said that they are still evaluating Mukpo's case, and that therapy will need to be individualized.
Mukpo's parents said that they had tried to dissuade their son from going back to Liberia after his return in May, but that their son is strong-willed and determined and has always lived by his integrity. Mukpo's parents described their son as having a strong connection with the people of Liberia, and expect that he may want to return to similar work after his recovery.